Thursday, March 25, 2010

Taipei Bike Show

Taipei hosted the annual bike show last week and this year I attended. Like a kid in a candy store, not so much for the bikes, there are just so many and one can only ride a few. So many choices, so little money.

But the accessories, now, one can never can have enough. Along with the bikes there was everything imaginable one could put on the bike as well: racks, bags, lights, mirrors, better brakes, better cranks, better everything. Twenty or more ways to change every aspect of your bike. Gosh, what to buy?

I went first to the Surly display, being a Surly rider and all, met Tom Krueger, and got to see most of what Surly had to offer. They had the Long Haul Trucker (my ride), Salsa Pistola and La Cruz, Pugsley, Steamroller, Crosscheck, Pacer, and I will have to look at my pictures to see what else, I have slept since then. But no Big Dummy (not me, the bike).











There were a million different kinds of wheels hubs and spokes making at least a trillion different combinations, especially when you add on the different tire choices. I wanted a Son 28 Dynohub, they retail for over US$200, but didn’t find the company there. I did find a Sanyo hub and found that it wholesaled for about US$25, but talked the rep into selling me one for NT$500, the equivalent of about US$15. So as much as I wanted a Son, guess which one I am going to use. It even came with a light so now I can put off buying the other two I wanted.

I did pick up a tail light with wireless control turn signals. I already had a brake light….. I also met the owner of Cool Stop brake pads, Gene Smith, and picked up a set of pads. It turns out we lived in near-by cities in California, both in northern and in southern California. Small world it is. I saw several different double legged kickstands, which would be good while touring with a load but didn’t see Pletscher’s and the others were nothing to get excited about.

But then, as much as I like Surlys, I may be convinced to buy a Fuji, I would first have to make sure they are accessorized…….


3 comments:

  1. I'd pick the fuji accessories too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, if you do not mind, will you tell me who Tom Krueger of Surly is? I may have an issue regarding my Pugsely; if so, I would like to have a contract at Surly who may be able to help me. Thanks. gary sherck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jim,
    Greetings from Malaysia !
    My name is Dave Ern and I happened to come across your blog as I was searching for a Surly Long Haul Trucker in dealer/distributor Taipei, Taiwan that I would like to buy the bikes from. Reason for buiyng it in Taiwan is bcos me & my wife will be touring Taiwan buy bike-cum-visit Taipei Cycle Exhibition in March 2013. I would appreciate it very much if you do know of someone in Taipei that sells Surly bikes. Kindly email me at bikemalaysia.event@gmail.com if you have the info. Thanks - Dave

    ReplyDelete