Friday, March 6, 2009

The Tour de Taiwan: Of course I am not racing you idiot

We have all heard of the Tour de France. Did you know that there is a Tour de Taiwan as well? That this may be the 20th year? Or 10th at least? I have been here almost 13 years and I have never heard of it. Never before yesterday, that is. It starts in Kaohsiung, 45 minutes away from me, on Sunday, the day after tomorrow. They’re not big on local publicity. And, no, I wouldn’t have entered had I known. I raced once, that was enough. Michael Rubel always said: “don’t play games you haven’t already won.” I would like to at least watch part of it. I haven’t found out the exact route yet either, just something about 40 laps around the Love Canal over a couple bridges for a total of 88Km. It sounds more like a Tour de Block. I asked ZhiSheng, my bike shop friend about it. He showed me a big poster he had but didn’t put up. He was afraid his customers would ask him for details and the poster not only didn’t give any, it didn’t even say where you could go to find out the answers. No routes were given, just days and cities with vague times. Certainly wouldn’t want any spectators to gum up the works.
Teams are coming from around the world. I hope they get more information. I didn’t see Lance’s name anywhere so I guess he isn’t coming.

I know I look like a racer but I am still not racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment