Thursday, February 19, 2009

Guan Yin Shan Golf Course

Andy, my friend the Yamaha dealer here in PingTung called me on Tuesday and asked if I wanted to play golf on Friday. Silly question of course. So on Friday I picked him up at seven and then dropped Johnny off at school and we drove to Guan Yin Shan golf course. Now if you don’t know where this course is and you can’t read Chinese it is not easy to find. Either from the east or the west the last 4Km is on a winding one lane road with no clues visible from anywhere. A few years ago it took Andrew Carrick and I three attempts and a lot of questioning before we found it. But now it’s easy.

The course had changed little since I was there last, besides getting harder. Some of the fairways were wider and there was new building going on around the course. It wasn’t a real picture-taking-day due to the overcast and occasional misting of rain, but the temperature was perfect. We had neither cold rain nor hot muggy feeling until the last hole when the sun came out. It was such a nice day I forgot to grab the scorecard from the caddy. Oh yes, in Taiwan you almost always have to have a caddy. Here we also had a cart. Andy had coupons, probably through Yamaha, and always lots of new balls. I forget how many I lost.

After a shower and change of clothes (almost all courses have locker rooms here too), we went to lunch in PingTung. He restaurant is on Gong Yuan Road behind the Police station just before the next corner and across the street from a big parking lot. We had Nio Ro Mien (beef noodle soup) something very common, but the best I have tasted. Even the noodles had good flavor. Now most places will give you more broth if you want it for your soup, but this place will also give you more noodles. I will be going back there again

No comments:

Post a Comment